Monday, May 24, 2010

blow up

Sunday Planned Workout:
Swim 2.5 miles
Bike 3 hours with intervals
Run 30 minutes

Sunday Actual Workout:
Swim 2.6 miles, open water, 1:21
Bike 19 miles, 1:24

Things did not go as planned today. I started off fine with my race distance swim at Barton Springs. Back and forth, 10 laps with some zig-zagging=2.6 miles. I swam with no wetsuit, sucked up the coldness, and it felt good until the end. Then I put on my bike clothes, drove up to Parmer Lane, and started out on the bike. Even though I got an early start, the wind had already picked up on Parmer and it was about 15-20 mph. As soon as I got on my bike I knew my body was not happy. It was painful to sit on the saddle and my legs had nothing left. Ok, I guess I went harder yesterday than I realized and it was catching up with me.

Even with the tailwind, I could only go about 19mph on my tri bike and every other biker on the road was passing me, everyone. I couldn't face the intervals I had planned and I knew I would have a nasty tailwind coming back. I decided to cut things short and I turned around when I was 35 minutes in. For a good bit of the way back, I was going 10mph at max effort into the wind. I was on the verge of tears and wanted the ride to be over asap. It took me 50 minutes to get back. When I have normal energy levels, that section takes me about 60 minutes total, not 1:24.

I got in the car, went home, and proceeded to take a 4 hour nap. Then I laid around watching movies for the rest of the day. Then I slept for another 9 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment