Sunday, February 21, 2010

weight gain during ironman training

Bike 2 hours, rolling hills
[32 miles]
It was beautiful, sunny, and 70 today. Wow, what a day! There was also a strong wind - headwind on the way out, tailwind on the way back. My HR monitor battery died so I didn't get HR data but this ride was supposed to be in Z3 most of the time, and I'd say I got a lot of time in at that effort.


Last time I trained for an Ironman, I didn't watch my food intake and didn't ever weigh myself and ended up gaining 10 lbs of fat. Even with 15-20 hours of aerobic exercise per week, I gained all this weight. I think this happened because I often mistook fatigue for hunger, and also because I was putting a lot of stress on myself by worrying about outcomes of my training. The stress hormone cortisol is known to lead to weight gain when elevated. This time around I am not stressed, and actually feel so laid back about the training it hardly feels like I am training at all. Ha!  As for the eating, I am being more careful about portion control and listening closely to signals from my body. Eating an extra snack isn't going to help if what I really need is a nap. If I can keep my weight steady, then I know I am taking care of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment