Sunday, April 11, 2010

weekend 9: 5k and race rehearsal

Saturday
Tiger 5K Run, Dripping Springs TX
[22:24 with mile splits 7:17(HR 157), 6:50 (HR 164), 7:34 (HR 165)]
1st in age group, 4th female overall

It was time again for a lactate threshold run test, and this small race was a good place to do the test. It was a benefit for the high school marching band so there was band music at each mile mark. The whole thing was charming and well organized so it was fun, but the course was challenging and not a great place for a PR. There were a lot of gradual inclines and a massive mountain in mile 1. I was 60 seconds slower than when I did my 5K run test last month.  I still managed to win my age group and bring home a locally-made jar of black bean and corn salsa as my prize :) George was a good cheerleader.



Strength workout
50 Manmakers (5lb dumbbell and knee pushups) - 13:19
3 rounds Bear crawl: front, back, right side, left side

---

Sunday - race rehearsal day
Swim 3200m (1:04) - open water with wetsuit at Barton Springs
Bike 60 miles (3:31) - rolling hills, rode tri bike
Run 7.5 miles (1:00)
[5:35]

Nutrition
Breakfast - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 banana, omega-3 pill (about 400 cal)
T1 - 1 Nutrigrain bar (130 cal)
Bike - 30 oz water, 2 Nuun tablets, 2 fig bars, 1/3 cup raisins, 12 almonds, Justin's nut butter packet (about 600 cal)
T2 - 1 Nutrigrain bar (130 cal)
Run - water

It recently remembered that I am doing the Lonestar 70.3 in Galveston TX in two weeks. Yikes, where did that come from? I was glad to have this training day to practice execution for a long day. Everything went very smoothly for the most part, and I felt great on the run. A good run is concrete proof that execution was good. I was a bit low on calories and water the whole day, but I had enough just to slide by without bonking. The day was cool with a light mist, so I didn't need as much as I would have if it were sunny. It was a long day mentally. As I think back, I'm not sure what I thought about that whole time. I think I keep my eye on the road ahead and keep my mind focused on having my body move as quickly and efficiently as possible at all times.

When I was done with all this, I scarfed down some leftover veggies and fajitas that I had waiting for me in the car. It really is all about the food.

Week 9 of 20, complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment