Monday, February 01, 2010

Ironman Round 3

Ironman Coeur d'Alene, June 2010. I've been signed up for 6 months but it's been just in the last two weeks have I made the final decision that I am going to commit myself to the training and do it. I have gotten a bit burnt out and have been struggling with nagging hip pain from training exclusively as a higher-mileage runner and am switching back to Ironman as my path to endurance bliss.

It will be my third Ironman and I think I have come to a point where I will be able to approach the whole thing in a more balanced and joyful way than before. My first IM was about finishing, my second one was an attempt to make dramatic improvements in speed (which I didn't do because I tried too hard). It has taken me over a year since that last Ironman to recover mentally and physically and be ready to do it again. My poor execution of race week and the race itself was a huge disappointment after all the work I put into it.

This one is going to be about enjoying the process and finishing happy. I am going to train hard but I am not going to make any time goals. I am giving myself the freedom to simply run with my heart.

For training, I will be using a 20 week program from Endurance Nation. EN focuses on intesity over volume, and the biggest weeks are only around 16 hours, with just 12 hours most weeks. I also plan to add on 2-3 Crossfit workouts per week to maintain and build core strength.

Thanks to all the work I've done this winter, my nutrition is dialed in and I've got a strong running base. I have a good supportive community around me to keep motivation high and make things more fun. The training officially starts in a week on Feb 8, 2010 and I am ready to rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment