Monday, June 26, 2006

two loops

REST Day
It wasn't going to be, but my legs are shell-shocked after that ride yesterday.

[6/25/06 Sunday]
Bike - 85 mi, 5:30 - two loops of the Ironman Wisconsin course, plus a little
Run - 2 mi, 18:22 - easy transition run

This was the first time I have done two loops of the course in a row. I was feeling tired to start out, and wasn't sure if I would do both loops or call it a day after one. I knew I would be disappointed in myself if I stopped after one loop though, so I kept going. Getting back into Verona, seeing my car, and yet knowing that I was only half done was a mental challenge. That first hill out of Verona was the toughest mentally. I planned my nutrition strategy in hopes that I could complete the ride without getting a dehydration headache after the ride was over. That is fairly predictable with me for long rides. I think I don't take in enough calories and salt so my strategy today was to feel like I was taking in too much. I had three bottles of my Sustained Energy mixed drink with Endurolytes, two bottles of water, a Clif Bar, some granola, and salty pretzels. I began drinking and eating right away and tried to have something every five miles. This actually worked really well, and kept the headache away. I was hot to start the run but got some cold water and was fine. I didn't feel hungry at any point and even after I got home I didn't feel the urge to eat. I got a bit bloated, however, but I feel like at least I now have a handle on the dehydration problem.

[6/24/06 Saturday]
Run - 5 mi, 46 min - speed workout: 4 x 800 @ 3:30, 2 x 400 @ 1:37

Some neuromuscular conditioning in preparation for Pardeeville sprint triathlon. The first repeat was hard, but it got much easier as my legs remembered how to run this pace. I was on the treadmill at the gym at 5:30 am. This was going to be a rest day since I was going out of town to a family reunion, but I decided to get up and squeeze in some intervals.

[6/23/06 Friday]
Bike - 23 miles, 90 min - recovery ride, ave sp. 14.9

This was a beautiful ride on a beautiful sunny afternoon. I went out with a friend who is a new triathlete. It is a treat to go riding with someone who shares my enthusiasm for this stuff.
...hi amber! ...

No comments:

Post a Comment