Wednesday, January 11, 2006

So Far So Good

[Workout 1/10/06]
Bike: 90 minutes with Fast Pedaling drill 9x[1 min work/1 min recover]
Run: Walk 4 min warm up, Run 12 min, Walk 6 min cool down
Weights: Chest, back, abs

January 1 was my first official day of training after several weeks of rest. Last year I started out too hard, got overuse injuries in my feet and arm, and spent the entire month of February trying to recover. It set me back from doing early season races that I wanted to do. I am going to be very careful this year to make sure that doesn't happen. My body is well-rested and I am eager to get back to training, so it is harder than it sounds. I am recovering from a moderate case of runner's knee that came on last September as I had just finished doing the Wright Stuff Century Ride and was training for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon on October 2. I ended up limping through the last 8 miles of the marathon. I am doing physical therapy for it now, trying to strengthen my hips in order to take stress off my knee when running. My knee is finally feeling ok so that I am able to start running again. I am thrilled that I can run 1 mile 3 times per week.

I am being very cautious about rest and recovery and being good to my body. I am ten days into the season, and so far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment