Wednesday, August 23, 2006

bikram yoga... sweat-o-rama

Run - 7 miles, 1:01 - with hills
Yoga - 90 minute class

It has not been warm outside lately and I have started to get concerned that I am losing my heat acclimation that I built up during the earlier part of the summer. Since in the past it has always been about 95 degrees on the day of Ironman, it is important that I am heat acclimated. Preparing for this is just one more of the obsessive-compulsive details I can do to give myself a competitive edge.

How do I do this? Sitting in the sauna is good, but it's too hot (and small) in there to do any physical activity. Hmmm... I came up with the idea of going to Bikram yoga and went to my first class yesterday afternoon. Bikram yoga is like regular yoga except the room is an infrared sauna, so it is hot. As I went in the room for the first time and laid down on my mat to relax before class, I was already dying of heat. About 5 minutes into the first standing breathing exercises, sweat was already dripping off and making a puddle below me. Halfway through, my full size towel was saturated and I was so drenched I looked like I just got out of the shower. I didn't know I could sweat this much. As my muscles got warmed up, it felt good. What a great detoxifier too! I only had one water bottle with me and could have used about 2 or 3 more. Some people didn't seem to be sweating much, which amazes me. The yoga itself was not hard since it was the basic poses that I do regularly. The heat was great though, and I think this is going to be a perfect way to get used to working my body in heat. I signed up for a two-week membership of unlimited classes so I can go as much as I want during my taper.

Maybe I'll keep going after my taper too. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment