Tuesday, April 06, 2010

bike tt = leg burn at low heart rate

Bike Time Trial
[Time Trial 40 minutes: 13.25 miles = 20mph, HR 137]
Total ride time 1:10
Last time I did this test, I averaged 19.5mph and my average heart rate was 152. That was on my road bike on a rolling course and today I used my tri bike on a flat windy course. I think this result indicates a few things: 1) I am not getting as much power on my tri bike as I do on my road bike, 2) my cardio system is much stronger than my legs. I was pushing my legs to the point of major burn and my heart rate was still amazingly low.

I guess the tri bike gives me more speed at a lower effort level so that's perfect for triathlons. I have also noticed that my brick runs off the tri bike are decent, whereas they are super unpleasant off my road bike.

Brick Run 15 minutes
[1.8 miles]

Strength Session
Set 1: Crossfit "DT"
3 rounds of:
12 deadlifts
9 hang cleans
6 push jerks
(55 lbs)
[7:58]

Set 2
2 rounds of:
10 Step ups each leg with 25 lb plate
10 DB plank row each side with 15 lbs
10 Side lunges each side with 10lb plate

Set 3
40 leg press (110-170, up by 20 by 10's)
50 pullups
50 situps
145 knee pushups

I need to address bike power so I am going to emphasize heavier lower body exercises for a couple weeks. Not going nuts here, just a little extra emphasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment